[pct-l] Multi-fuel stove

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 10 22:12:13 CST 2008

B.A. wrote:
I want to 1) cook, and 2) use a more robust, fossil-fuel burning stove."

Check out the little alcohol stove at www.packafeather.com.  You can
actually control the flame on this little gem.  It does take longer to
bring water to a boil that a white gas/multifuel stove, but it worked
just fine for me on the PCT and the simmer really does simmer.

Doing the kind of miles you must do to complete the PCT in the limited
window, you'll probably not want to do any gourmet cooking.  This stove
worked great for me to cook up my mac n cheese with spam or
Knorr/Liptons side with foil tuna/salmon/chicken.  I took the Simmerlite
that I carried on the PCT on a winter hike this weekend and, except for
melting snow for water, wished I had my packafeather.

Handlebar
PCT08, AT006.