[pct-l] mountain education & Ned Tibbits

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 11 15:42:50 CST 2008

I can attest that this was an excellent experience and well worth the trip.  It was stunningly beautiful with 20' of snow. Snowshoeing across Echo Lakes was unforgettable. Of course, the blizzard we experienced dumped another two feet. We made it through and had a blast to boot! Talk about a great confidence builder for dealing with winter conditions.  We learned about so many things . . . snow camping; testing for avalance danger and reading the snow in a snow pit; using the ice axe tumbling from many directions; orientation using topo maps, and more.

Ned came well prepared and I felt very safe under his leadership.  I was real glad he didn't have to use his full size rescue sled to get me out of there!