[pct-l] the use of sleeping bags, design, choice, etc.

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Dec 12 01:47:41 CST 2008

Thanks, Eric! I always appreciate your insights.

After 34 years of teaching wilderness travel skills, selling the gear, even
designing some, but mostly testing new, sponsored gear on our school trips
(Mountain Education) as well as the longer voyages on the pct and cdt, I'd
like to encapsulate what has been said in the light of all this:

The premise of clothing is to capture body-radiated heat next to the skin
and thereby keep us warm. The more air that can be held within the fibers
(micro fibers), the greater the R-value, so to speak, of the garment. Thus,
a down jacket, which, efficiently, can hold a lot of air heated by the body,
has the potential of keeping you very warm-as long as the wind doesn't blow
it out of the spaces held by the fine feathers. Therefore, the need, in a
windy and cold environment, for a wind-proof outer covering over the down
jacket. The thicker the garment (full of fine fibers), the more air it can
hold, the better the insulator. Same with home insulation.

Now, a sleeping bag was designed to work the same way. Heat held still, as
Eric said, within the clothing, will keep you warm. But, when clothing is
worn inside a sleeping bag, it prevents the heat from being held more
efficiently within the down and you are warmer because of the multiple
layers involved, not because you have the most efficient bag.

Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, Sierra Designs, and Marmot all sponsored
me in one way or another over the years or taught me how to sell their
clothing and the gist of the sleeping bag design was this:

    The body radiates heat into the space between the skin and the down and
eventually it is held by (or bonds onto) the fine fibers of the down quills.
The down holds it undisturbed better than does the space between the skin
and the down, thus, allowing the heat to be held in the down is more
efficient. The closer the down can be to your skin, the less energy the body
has to expend on heating the space between. A tight bag is more efficient,
but don't plan on rolling around in it. Roll around with it! Movement does
encourage or push heated air out of the bag, so the process of reheating
begins all over again, roll after roll, all night long.

    Here is where membranes come in which reduce cold air from blowing the
heated air out and keep you from rolling the air out as well. They are
marketed with many names, but they work wonderfully and greatly increase the
rating and efficiency of the bag (price tag, too).

    Hoods, draft collars, zipper draft barriers, foot boxes, half zippers,
etc. all contribute to keeping the heat in and a more efficient bag.

    The bigger and finer the feathers, the more heat can be held. The more
the down is crushed, stuffed, stored stuffed, the less the feathers can
expand and hold air. Uncertain about how dirt and body oils contribute to
efficiency loss. With use, the feathers will crush and the bag will loft and
hold heat less. They have a lifetime.

    Store down as un-stuffed as possible. Hanging on a sleeping bag hanger,
open under the bed, in a storage stuff sac (laundry bag as mentioned), for
reasons above.

The only way to decide what kind of bag works best for you is to try out
different types (down vs. synthetic), sizes (mummy, rectangular, quilt...),
designs (slanted baffles, chevron slanted baffles, longitudinal baffles,
quilts sewn-through, etc.), loft heights, and on and on.

For the most part, men create more heat than women. Therefore, we have
always encouraged the ladies on our trips to choose down articles (parkas,
booties, bags...) unless allergic, then go with the synthetic.

Most of all, Know Thyself. Only you can know what works best for you in the
conditions you expect to encounter. To find that out, take numerous pre-trip
weekend test hikes in all the worst weather and terrain. Just because it
seems that most folks do the pct in an "ultra-light" manner and take a tarp
or no stove doesn't mean you will want to or should. Part of wilderness
hiking is discovering who you are and what matters to you, apart from the
maddening crowd. Go work out the details as they pertain to you, then go
hike the Crest!

Mtnned