[pct-l] sleeping bag question

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 11 13:54:05 CST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Does anyone understand the  degree ratings anyway.

I understand them like so: A big huge pile of down on top of me is
warm. The bigger the better. Sometimes a windy cowboy camp was
actually super warm because of how the wind fluffed up the down.

Don't forget you can add a lot of degrees by selecting good
campsites. It never ceased to amaze me that people would choose to
sleep in freezing cold meadows or near the cold, descending air of
creeks and lakes.

> 40 bag does sound a bit lite though, liner or no.

I agree. Maybe a 30 degree if you have a high metabolism (i.e. you
are a young man.) I think 30 degree was quite common for men.