[pct-l] saying no to alcohol

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Dec 12 15:42:02 CST 2008

Good afternoon,

I agree with Hayden:  Alcohol abuse - in whatever context you care to view
it - is a behavior problem not a "thing" problem.  Banning a thing is very
unlikely to ever change bad behavior.

I haven't cooked on the PCT since 2002.  '07 was a very dry year in SoCal so
the only flame I used on the trail was when I flicked a Bic to burn the ends
of a nylon cord inside the shop at Hikertown.  Elsewhere: zero flame.

For those who must have hot food there are options less risky than alcohol.
I don't use canister-fuel stoves but I understand they can't spill and they
are less likely to flame-up significantly.  The same can be said for solid
fuel tablets, which I do sometimes use.

Except for careless and/or irresponsible behavior alcohol is a very good
choice for a hiker's stove.  Much has been said about the versatility of
multi-fuel stoves but if one fuel - alcohol - is readily available why not
just use it?   Much has also been said about the speed-to-boil of the
various stoves, but plus/minus a few minutes doesn't really matter to me.
Similarly, any simmer function has no value to me.  I don't carry foods that
require simmering.  I specifically read the label before I buy and if it
says simmer for 5-10 minutes I put it back on the shelf.  I want full-bore
heat until the fuel charge runs out then whatever is in the pot better be
ready to eat.

I don't care about being able to turn the stove off to save fuel.  If I
ration an ounce of fuel per meal, I just let it burn up.  Why should I fuss
around trying to pour ¼ ounce of fuel back in the flask just so I can carry
it up the trail, all the while knowing that I already have sufficient  fuel
remaining?

For me the best stove is the one that is lite, simple, inexpensive,
fool-proof, easy to light, and QUIET!  Probably the best in that regard is
the 3-inch square of aluminum foil upon which I place my chunk of solid
fuel.  That too, is a "stove".  For alcohol stoves I prefer a 0.70-ounce
TrailDad CAT Stove, or one of the ubiquitous 0.55-ounce pop can stoves.

It seems to me that anyone who thinks they may not be sufficiently careful
to properly use an alcohol stove -- probably is.  Anyone who is sure they
don't have to worry about it -- probably should.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye