[pct-l] Start date / snow conditions / other concerns?

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 14 20:10:23 CST 2008

June 15 is "Ray Day", or the day popularized by Ray Jardine in his writings.  Truth is, that date may or may not be optimal in any given year, depending on conditions, and on your level of ability. In a big snow year the Sierras mid-June there could still be plenty of snow on the passes and swollen fords as was the case in '05 and '06. As a point of reference, Mammoth Mountain is sometimes open for skiing until July 4th, and the resort's highest elevation is 11,000.

Repeating something I've posted before gleaned from a conversation from an early 70s thru hiker, before Ray Day became everyone's mantra, the popular opinion was to enter the Sierras in May, not June, and March was typical for many starters. Ned Tibbits is one who started his 70s era hike in March.

My observation is that many hikers want to walk on a clearly defined trail without route finding or snow-related obstacles.  In other words, they want a nice hike without having to raise the skill level required to take on more challenges or risk.  They don't want to carry the gear required for those challenges, either. And that's certainly okay, and one way to approach it.

Personally, I believe there's a sweet spot between the end of avalanche danger and the big melt off, and it's going to vary with the weather conditions in any given year.  I've developed a preference for walking on consolidated snow rather than rotting out snow where you posthole into rocky crevasses.  Snow, particularly firmly packed snow, is a friend, not an enemy.

L-Rod