[pct-l] Thru Hike Muses

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 03:50:06 CST 2008

Say, I wonder if I should start my thru  hike training?  I want my hike to be
the most supported in the history of  the PCT.  How do I train for a most
supported hike?  I was thinking of  2012 or 2013 for the tour.  I will go from
Mexico to Canada generally  following the PCT - a corridor hike.

I will not hike over any parts of the  trail I have hiked before.  I will
just fill in the gaps.  I will  resupply with a combination of mailed resupply
boxes and buying what I need  along the way.  Partners or no partners can be
just played as I go  along.  No problem.  Anything over 20 miles a day is fine
too - I  don't want to show off :-).  I doubt I will keep a journal, but who
knows.

I will arrive at trailtowns stops by noon  and leave a day and half later.
That should give me some nice  recovery/goof off time.  Also, I will start in
early April and try to  get to Big Bear and then go back to the late April
Kickoff at Lake Morena.   This depends on snow, etc.  I don't want the first part
of the trip to be a  rush.  I want to build/ramp up slowly to thru hiker
mileage and getting  into the Rhythm of the Trail.

I should be in the first wave to get  to Canada with this system.  I will
claim much glory and thru hiker  status.  This will make the purists and others
really mad.   Cool.

Let's see, I have to have my left  knee operated on before my hike.  I have
to lose some weight.  I have  most all my gear and it works fine.  Looks like I
am about ready except for  some training.  Who's with me?

Hummmm, it is only it only a little over  4 months until the April Kickoff at
Lake Morena.  The Class of 2009 should  be getting nervous about now with
cabin fever on top of that.  Serious  training should be starting with their gear
selections.  Hiking, swimming,  elliptical machines, and yoga should be on
the agenda.  Yoga routines on  the trail will pay nice dividends.  I like the
Sun Pose, myself.  Do  it in the morning and when you arrive in camp.  Do it
slowly about three  times.  Lightning Rod knows more about this kind of stuff,
since she used  to be a yoga instructor.  I bet she knows some good poses.

Well, if I really think about it, I  bet I will have to hike alone as a
hardcore hiker trash 1%er.  So, I  guess I have to figure out my entertainment
gear, etc. to keep me company.   I am leaning toward a satellite radio, but I have
to figure out the power  requirements and how to use solar panels.

Happy Holidays, later, Switchback the  Trail Pirate
PS:  The only reason I wrote this is  so I could use the word "muses" in the
subject line.  Heh, heh,  heh.