[pct-l] pct atlas

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Dec 16 09:06:49 CST 2008

Bill wrote:
> The PCT Atlas is the best of both worlds - and so much more.  This
> book is about navigation and quick access. The PCT Atlas and a
> current water report will give you everything you need.

Agreeing with Bill with one caveat. On my Section A hike last summer, I
was less interested in finding my location on a map than I was in
knowing how far I had hiked, and how far I had remaining to the next
significant landmark or water source. For that reason, I found myself
referring to the Data Book more than the Atlas, simply because it has
more data points.

I also used Yogi's guide quite a bit because of the detailed water
information. I made notes in Yogi's guide based on information in the
water report, then used that to determine where to get water.

I carried the Guidebook, Yogi's guide, the Atlas, and the Data Book. I
seldom used the guidebook. If I were to hike the PCT again, I would
carry the Atlas, Yogi's guide and the Data Book. I would not carry the
Guidebook.