[pct-l] PCT ATLAS, GUIDEBOOKS, YOGI'S BOOK, and DATA BOOK...

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:24:30 CST 2008

Hey everyone, the weather has got me on the list again, and something Jason asked has got me remembering some things I saw out there this year.
 First Hi Jason and Mellisa, whom I met this year in Stehekin [it's cool you guy's are still going forth].
   This year I saw so many people, without any maps in there hike. The same people were also unprepared in other ways, but that is a different subject for now. Many times I would come up on a hiker who was in hope of information from us. We would be glad to give it, but would leave dumbfounded. This trail is not 100% marked, it has many unmarked side trails, and things change every year. That is a good reason Yogi's book is so good. She puts all the information together, but it is a compilation of dozens of hikers, some who have hiked the trail multiple times. The Guidebooks are completely adequite, and give more history and natural facts than all put together. The databook is a must if you use the guidebooks! As far as the atlas goes, it is nice if you GPS, but you will find its imperfections like the rest.
  My first thru-hike, I used the guidebooks only.
  The second thru, I used it with the data-book, and came accross Yogi's Book half way through.
  The third, I used only the data and Yogi's book, but wished I had maps for Oregon, cause of snow. That is why it is so important to be prepared.
 If I was to begin my first thru-hike and I knew what I have learned from well over 13,000 miles of PCT hiking, I would use for navigation and planning, the Guide and Data books, along with Yogi's book. While there are many people who like the Atlas and will give an arguement, these maps and data and information are proven by thousands. I have been observing the Atlas, but I told you my choice, no offence Eric, I am impressed, but what I enjoy about the trail mostly is the natural and historical aspects, as well as the many secrets that continue to unveil. Just my point of view..Joe