[pct-l] GUIDE BOOK..

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:12:33 CST 2008

I have to diagree with " the book of lies" .   The data book does not give the mileage to the top and bottom of every hill and valley cause it is taken from the Guide Books, DIRECTLY.  For instance, if you are at a water source and the guide book says you ascend to a ridgetop, then descend to another water souce, it sometimes will not give you the mileage of the ridgetop, but rather to the other water source. The Databook only gives the given mileage, not all the mumbo jumbo inbetween. If the Guide book was more factual, the databook is more of a "book of facts". But we all know the Guide Books are not perfect and neither is the mileage, but those of us who been out there more than a couple times, all [to my knowledge], agree the Databook is worth its small weight..... For me, I will do my next thru-hike of the PCT with only the databook.