[pct-l] PCT ATLAS, GUIDEBOOKS, YOGI'S BOOK, and DATA BOOK...

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Dec 17 22:57:00 CST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 4:59 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: The Book of Lies
It became the book of lies when it started taking data points from
the second California guide book. The Southern California guide book
does a good job of choosing landmarks, choosing the high points, low
points or other somewhat obvious things. It was not perfect at all,
but you got a decent sense of what you were in for.

The Northern California guide book was not like that. It seemed to
choose data points illogically. And it would say things like "descend
to a creek" which you had been well trained by the So Cal book to
believe meant you would descend to a creek and cross it when what it
now meant was you will descend and a creek will be somewhere in the
vicinity but you're never going to see it unless you guess the right
switchback in the trail that's closest to it.

As for needing a map, I did not find a map to be a requirement, even
in snow. The maps I bought (the Harris maps, I think) had 200 ft
contour lines. This was not precise enough to find the trail under a
patch of snow. The best a map could do was give you a clue where you
were headed. Most of the time, in areas without snow, the trail was
so obvious. Follow the foot prints. Read the signs. Look for ducks.
Remember what general direction you are going (usually North or
West.) Look for evidence of the high quality of construction (water
bars, wide, gentle trail etc.) that characterizes the PCT. It's not
like you're in a tunnel and can't see ahead. Half the time you're
looking at where you're going to spend the next hour or more hiking.
If I was confused, I would read the guide book. It usually described
the confusing places. The trick is to stop and end your confusion as
soon as you have it and don't stubbornly forge ahead. Lessons learned
in chaparral country, I guess.

Anyway, sometimes I would ask hikers or others I'd meet along the way
for info. It wasn't so much because I needed it but I just wanted to
talk. I hope I didn't annoy anyone.