[pct-l] Trail Safety

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 03:43:07 CST 2008

Brittany writes:?I wanted to get some more input concerning the general safety of hiking alone. I am a female, and plan on thru-hiking at 22 years old. To be alone for three or four months in the wilderness as a young woman? I say, sure why not! And I go for it. I take hikes alone all the time. But my family is very concerned for me and continue to press the issue of finding a hiking companion. Any thoughts, or advice?
Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: I would team up with some other females in the beginning, but always be ready to hike alone.? The best protection is awareness and some common sense.? The April Kickoff at Lake Morena is a good place to team up with some trail partners.

I always carry some pepper spray with me out on the trail.? A cell phone is good too, when coverage is okay.? I notice that carrying pepper spray is easy and light.? I have a feeling that at least I have something to protect myself if pushed.? Of course, there is no perfect protection.? With pepper spray, what if you are down wind?? Does pepper spray work on everyone?? No.? Does it work on most people?? Yes.? Is it good against other animals?? Yes.? I carry it in my front belly pouch for quick access.?? When I go cruising around the campsite in the evening, I carry it.? But mostly it is to protect me from everyone that is after me for the bounty out on the trail.