[pct-l] Tips for taking Dogs on the Trail

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 19:53:13 CST 2008

Hi Jo -

Two things that I think also need to be mentioned with dogs are kind of related: the effect of snakes on dogs, and the effects of dogs on wildlife.  There also might be concern over how the dog will deal with the relatively rare meeting with horses or other stock on the tril.

I don't know how best to control a dog when you run across a big (or little) rattler, but I think the dog owner needs to have that well in hand before the incident.  It might well be the first encounter for either the dog or the hiker with a snake.

Secondly: there is no doubt that dogs will reduce the chance that you (or other hikers with-in a significant distance) have a chance encounter with some of the more rare wild animals out there - wild goats, bobcats, etc.

Kent