[pct-l] Base layers

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:00:59 CST 2008

Patti wrote:  "I'm wearing Patagonia cap 2 in the beginning and then
switching to cap 3 later when it gets colder ..."

Surely another HYOH (and/or YMMV) thing, but FWIW I was happy with the same
lightest-possible weight underwear throughout.   For me, layering is less
effective if I don't have the option to easily strip or vent down to not
overheat when I'm moving, and a PCT thru-hiker is mostly moving.    To deal
with colder temps in the Sierras I added a size-larger thermawrap vest to
the thermawrap jacket I already carried, but I never actually walked in
either of these, and in fact I rarely used the vest.   Your metabolism might
make different choices the correct ones for you.

Another way to look at thicker base layers is to divide your time into two
categories: when you're moving, and when you're stopped.  Per above, when
moving, I always like a thin (cap 1) base layer, as my engine runs a little
hot.  When stopped, I think the temperature difference of a thicker cap
layer isn't worth the weight (or hassle and time to change) --- I'd rather
add one or more meaningful piece of clothing.

I thought about bringing thin longjohns, but again, it's a hassle (and it's
cold) stripping down to change, and I would never want to walk in them.
 Mind you, longer than normal undershorts are something I found excellent to
prevent chaffing, but that's another topic.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle