[pct-l] Sunrise Power Project

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:13:12 CST 2008

Yep, it has to cross the PCT (unless they tunnel under it!), but the good
news is this:

In the face of criticism from the Sierra Club and the California Parks
Foundation, SDG&E recently dropped the Anza-Borrego route and embraced a
more costly path farther south.

You can see a large-scale map of the route
here<http://sdge.com/sunrisepowerlink/maps.html>.
I also found this description of the
route<http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/2008/10/22/news/01sunrise102208.txt>
:

The 123-mile southern route...would parallel the existing Southwest Power
Link, the region's other major high-voltage transmission line, for 36 miles
in Imperial County and far eastern San Diego County, turn north near the
In-Ko-Pah mountain range, avoid the Campo Indian Reservation, turn south and
loop around the Hauser Wilderness, sweeping north again to follow Interstate
8.

Of course, there are quite a few other major power lines that cross the PCT.
I don't know how this proposed one compares in scale with, say, the one just
south of Stevens Pass.