[pct-l] Base layers (Zelda)

Tarzan and Zelda pctthruhike at surewest.net
Fri Dec 19 16:58:36 CST 2008

Amanda,

I have tried a couple of different products over the years as far as base layers are concerned.  I usually like a mid weight for the Sierra and it seems to keep me warm enough on cold nights and while hiking the first 10 or so minutes out of camp before the sun rises.  I can easily say that the REI brand of their mid weight synthetic zip T seems to do the trick.  I like the idea of a half zipper as it makes regulating your body temperature a lot easier.  I would definitely recommend the zipper style over the crew neck.
On our 2008 thru hike Tarzan and I opted for Smartwool and Icebreaker brand base layers with half zippers in a mid weight.  After comparing the synthetic versus the wool I prefer the wool hands down.  The wool does not hold the odor nearly as much since it is a natural fiber.  Also the wool seems to breathe better and regulates with your body temperature in warm and cold situations.  I felt very comfortable wearing this part of my clothing system in many different temperatures and while hiking and in camp.  We also carried the bottoms although Tarzan didn't seem to need them as often as I did being that he was warm enough. I might also mention that the Icebreaker company is very customer service orientated.  I had a flaw in the mid weight pants I carried, I called the company and they sent me a replacement to the next trail town without seeing the flawed pair, free of charge!  I did send the other pair back to them as soon as I was able.
You can find the 100% wool products on sale if you take the time to search on line in places such as www.sierratradingpost.com.  Like another post said, it's worth the price once you are out in the field and rely on this important piece of clothing.
Happy Shopping,
Cindy (Zelda '08)