[pct-l] THE LUGGAGE GUY..[unprepared hikers]

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 10:56:25 CST 2008

That story about the suitcase guy is not the first time I heard of that. This year, shortly after we left Cascade Locks, and topped off to the ridgeline, we met the "Luggage Guy". Scott had met him before, up north in 04, near glacier peak, I believe. Anyways I had been behind Scott, and rounded a corner to find him talking to this obviously crazy midaged man. Not wanting to ingage in this conversation and trying to give Scott the reason to ditch this guy, I made my way around several large pieces of luggage, A 7 gallon water jug, a monsterous duffle bag and he, who with all his stuff was parked on a ice chest, in the middle of the trail.  Scott soon caught up to tell me he had met him before and that he was moving [in 04], useing the trail as his path from glacier peak to Seattle. Me not wanting to get shot or something, missed out on the conversation about how this guy, was dressed in clean dress clothes was hauling luggage one piece at a time up the PCT one mile a day. He was self seficient, self relient, as well as perfectly capable of doing so. He in my mind was insane, but who am I to say, others may say I am a little wacked too. From that point on, the "Luggage guy" was the talk of the trail. Every person we came accross already knew, and was waiting for his arrival. My father always told me, "hiking was the greatest therapy money couldn't buy", hum??-joe