[pct-l] Is thru-hiking alone safe?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Dec 20 12:03:15 CST 2008

After 15 years of solo hiking, I feel safe (there's that word again) saying........

"THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE SOLO HIKER IS THE SOLO HIKER THEMSELF."

My own inattention, inexperience, ego, and/or outright stupidity while on the trail has led me into more dangerous situations that any person could.

It is entirely possible to do everything right and still find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time (like when the volcano erupts beneath your feet). It doesn't matter if you're alone or with a few hundred of your closest friends. The unexpected happens. Don't lose sleep worrying about things you can't foresee or control.

Wandering Bob