[pct-l] machine screw traction use

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Dec 20 19:07:58 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Day-Late,

Once I install a screw it stays in until it falls out.  When walking, the
screw will work around a bit and often will wallow-out the hole so when I
replace a missing screw I select a slightly different location rather than
trying to reuse the previous hole.  It helps greatly if you can avoid
scuffing your feet.  Scuffing stresses the holes and the screws disappear
much more quickly.

I don't know how long a screw will last.  Those screws are harder than a
six-bit chisel and I've never seen one wear out.  The will fall out first.
Over snow/ice they should stay in place quite a while, just be careful
around rocks.

If you select the correct length of screw you shouldn't have a problem of
them ever touching the soles of your feet.  Standard foam insoles tend to
compress under the ball of the foot, and under the heal, so it could be
possible to eventually feel the screws if they were marginally too long, and
the foam compressed.  I use SuperFeet insoles, which have never measurably
compressed over many hundreds of miles.  The SuperFeet are about 1/8" thick,
which adds to the allowable screw length.  I generally use ½" screws.

I use both trail shoes and running shoes, and find that the running shoes
are better in the respect that they generally have a higher percentage of
big, flat lugs into which you can install - and reinstall - the screws.  The
trail shoes seem to have a more open "frilly" lug pattern in which it is a
bit more difficult to find places to make a hole.  On the other hand, it
seems the trail shoes have a bit harder rubber compound in the soles so once
the screws are installed they seem to stay in place better than if they were
in the softer running shoe sole.  It's probably a toss-up.  Use whatever
shoe is best for your foot and make do with the screws.

I carry a supply of replacement ½" screws which weigh 0.05 ounce each.  I
also carry a nut-driver to install them.  You can buy a regular nut-driver -
that looks like a screwdriver -- but I thought they were too big and heavy
so I made a smaller one.  I bought a hex-shank nut-driver bit that is for
use in an electric drill, and I glued it into a small wooden handle.  The
driver bit I bought has a very handy magnetic insert in the socket so the
screw will stay in place while you hold the shoe in one hand and push/twist
with the other.  The driver with handle weighs .76 ounces.

It seems most of the country is currently experiencing immoderate winter
weather - snow in the deep south even  - so if you can, rig up your shoes
and go for a walk.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye