[pct-l] Ray Jardine's New Book

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 16:35:00 CST 2008

Sean,

Thanks for bringing this up. I own and have read both editions of Rays PCT Hiker's Handbook. I feel like he did tone down his evangelical fervor from the first edition to the second edition. To me, the first edition felt more abrasive because in it he seems certain that he thinks his way to hike the PCT is THE way to hike the trail. All others are, well in his own words, "Hapless." To me, he comes across as arrogant and highly judgmental.

Now I am a ex-Mormon, so I was once a Mormon missionary. I know what if feels like to think my way is the 'right' way. Other, well, they just don't know. They are hapless, I am here to help lead them to the light.

For me a line is crossed when my view of the 'right' way starts to make value judgments on how other people choose to lead their lives, or how they choose to hike the PCT. Who am I to say what is the 'right' way to hike the PCT? There is no right or wrong way. The 'Ray Way" is not the right way. Nor is is the wrong way. There is only our ways. The way each one of us chooses to experience the PCT.

So, yea for me the first edition is more abrasive. Even so, the second edition is not exactly filled with equanimity. He is still certain that the 'Ray Way' is THE way.

Ryan