[pct-l] looking to buy a compass TODAY :)

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Mon Dec 22 23:06:23 CST 2008

Amanda,
I recommend you look at the Brunton 9020G compass. It's smallish,
light (1.1 oz), inexpensive and accurate enough to navigate the PCT.
I especially like the tool-free declination adjustment.

I suggest any compass you consider have a declination adjustment, not
just a declination scale.

Having said all that, from what read the Suunto MC-2G is probably one
of the best compasses out there now. I keep reading that the current
Silva Ranger is no longer as good as it once was. I don't own either
of these compasses so I don't know for sure. Both are probably more
than the typical PCT hiker really needs, however unless they are
really into compasses.

-Halfmile