[pct-l] Fw: water carrying capacity / frameless backpacks

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Wed Dec 24 09:05:04 CST 2008

Good morning, Lenny,

The amount of water to carry is not a decision you need to make now.  Early in your trip there are mostly-reliable, well-documented water sources giving you time to determine what your individual needs may be relative to the effort, the weather, and your appetite for risk.  I started with two 2.4-liter sacks and a one-liter bottle.  That remained mostly OK for the trip, but '07 was not a brutally hot year.  After SoCal there are only a few stretches in N. Cal. and S. Oregon where I found that much of capacity was advisable.

Your water capacity will also be guided by your philosophy about using water caches.  I use them -- but some don't.  I'm a bit of a pragmatist and do not see any sense in walking by useable water just to prove a point.  If water caches are somehow "unnatural", then by extension, all non-wild sources should also be eschewed, including stock and fire tanks, campground faucets, town water, etc.  That seems pretty silly to me, but you get to decide for yourself.

30 lbs. in a Breeze is not my favorite arrangement but it is the worst the first day, and much depends upon how much water must be carried away from a resupply town.  I probably had the most weight out of Mojave, but I switched from the Breeze to a GVP-4 at that point.  Unfortunately, the GVP-4 isn't much more sophisticated, but it does have more capacity.  The weight situation only improved because I burned off food at a rate of 2 lbs. per day, and water weight varied.

I adapt well to a simple sack-type pack.  My sleeping pad folds to an exact size appropriate to slip into the pack against my back, and I don't carry any heavy, hard chunks that may poke me.  http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=222935&back=1 Also, I don't use a hip belt so a more rigid structure isn't necessary to transfer weight to the belt.

I will send you a gear list separately.  I don't mind sharing it but in PCT-L correspondence, and in my TrailJournal, I avoid making specific gear recommendations.  We all learn - or should learn - that decisions have consequences, and I can't determine what others need any more than they can decide what I need.  When I am faced with a decision I want a discussion of reasons for need, applicability, pros/cons, etc.  It doesn't help me when someone says, "Dude, get a - whatever -- because that's what I used."

Enjoy your planning, and merry Christmas.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye