[pct-l] water carrying capacity / frameless backpacks

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Wed Dec 24 11:13:16 CST 2008

I would highly recommend that you do some desert hiking and get a sense for
how much water you need to stay hydrated. I found hiking in Grand Canyon
that when its really, really hot, I need up to 3 liters in the first half
of the day and 4 in the second half. I adjust down from there, depending on
anticipated temperature. Others seem to get by with less.

I have seen the effects of dehydration on a fellow hiker, and the situation
can become serious very quickly. As a result, I usually err on the side of
carrying too much water.