[pct-l] zero days (nights) on the trail instead of in town?

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 18:40:16 CST 2008

>towns (it took too much trouble and energy to
get to them, anyway!).

I've been considering this part of resupply
logistics as I contemplate a through-hike.  At
Tehachapi Pass, for example, I'd expect it to
take me pretty much all day just to hitch to
Tehachapi or Mojave.  Counting an actual zero in
town, that's at least two zero days, possibly
much of a third.  I'd rather spend that time on
the trail!

>Showers were sponge-baths, relished and
invigorating!

That's a good idea anyway.  I found on my CA-O
hike that insects were much less interested in me
after I sponged off the day's sweat.  That's on
top of the usual bag-life-extending benefits of
that.

>Zeros on trail allowed me, also, to explore
other things like that
 peak over
there...catch up in my journal...etc..

It also occurs to me that the point of a zero day
should be to rest.  Instead, it seems like most
hikers spend it running around town doing stuff.
While it doesn't usually involve carrying all of
one's stuff, it's not exactly restful either.
I'd rather spend a day off sleeping in,
botanizing the general area, watching the
squirrels, etc.  My goal would be to take a rest
every 7th day (plus or minus a day or two
depending on...whatever).  This would give me a
better chance of taking a day off in a nice spot
for it, rather than in a noisy, dirty, un-restful
town.

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR