[pct-l] osprey packs

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 25 01:46:10 CST 2008

Hey Sean,

I have an Aether 70 that has seen me through aprox. 1500 miles with almost zero complaints. I've banged it around for 3 years in the deserts of northern Arizona and southern Utah, two states that are very tough on gear. I've dropped it repeatedly off 10 ft. high ledges, bush-wacked through miles of heavy oak, set it down hundreds of times on rock and dragged it through slot canyons. Although it doesn't look new anymore, it has never developed a single hole or ripped seam. I love Osprey Packs.
I also have the older model of the Aether 60 (slightly different design - hip belt and top pack are attached, smaller hip belt, different back panel, lighter). I am still considering using this pack for the Sierra
.
In preparation for our '09 thru-hike, Melissa and I have downsized our gear considerably. After removing a bunch of unnecessary items, buying lighter and smaller tent and sleeping bags, and so on...we realized that we no longer needed the volume or extra 2# in suspension that our Osprey packs provide. We switched to Granite Gear Vapor Trails and after 2-300 miles, zero complaints. I'm very pleased with the feel of the pack with 20-25# loads at 15-20miles.

This brings me to the one problem that I've had with the Osprey Packs, the hip belt. When I began hiking in '02 I had read about "going lite" but felt that it didn't fit the vague notion I had about a man in the woods. It sounded trendy and impractical. So I carried 40-50+# packs for a few years before I saw the "lite", so to speak. The Osprey hip belt worked great up to the 40# mark, after that, problems ensued. Although the belt was heat molded to fit my hips, weights over 40# caused the pack to slip...a lot. I would have to cinch the straps to an uncomfortable level to try to keep it in place. This often caused chaffing and on 3-5 day walks I would develop hip pains that were far from fun. I have several friends that carry Osprey packs and I've heard the same complaint from most of them - awesome packs, just don't overload the hip belt.

I'm not sure what your base weight is or how long you plan to go between resupply. If you plan to hike regularly with a 30-40# pack I think that you would be pleased with the Aether. If you have a base weight under 15# I don't feel that you'll need the extra suspension or the added weight that comes with it. If I had it all to do over again, I would collect all of the gear that I intend to carry on the hike and then decide what pack best fit my needs.

Thanks for listening,
chef