[pct-l] osprey aether 60

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 10:19:05 CST 2008

Sean,

Two years ago I bought an Osprey Aether 60 (size M).  After learning how to
work all the straps, I am pleased with how it fits, its comfort, and the
load it can carry.  This includes a BearVault Solo (BV 450)  which I carry
inside the back -- the entire pack was loaded to about 30 lbs then. More
could go into the pack, but I prefer not to carry large loads, if possible.
One time I crossed trails with a thru hiker at Humboldt Summit and his
Aether 60 was a lot more than 30 lbs; but he is a bigger guy and probably
had size L. And he strapped stuff to outside of the pack; all of my stuff
goes inside the pack.   I am thinking my Aether 60 will work well when
carrying liters and liters of water is necessary; and hopefully it will work
well nobo from Kennedy Meadows with a BV 500 -- inside the pack.

My current  angst:  The pack is 3 lbs 15 oz on my scale -- same weight as on
the Osprey web site.  Is it to heavy for a thru attempt given my frame (5/10
& 150) and packing sufficient water thru hot sections or a crammed BV 500
out of Kennedy Meadows?  Would a lighter pack make life easier?  While these
questions touch on all sorts of subjective preferences, perhaps others can
comment.  I plan to remove the bottom straps and shave the other straps
which are way to long for my torso and save some ounces.  But if I want to
save some lbs, that means a cash outlay for another pack and the uncertainty
that I will NOT be happier with the new pack or the cash outflow.  Lately I
have been thinking to just get my Aether 60 (and me) ready for a thru
attempt, know that I have an excellent pack, forget trying to save a
pack-pound or so, reduce base weight elsewhere, and save the cash for the
trail towns. Plus I don't want to find space to store another pack during
the winter.  Finally, am I too picky on this?  After all I'm at 150 with a 4
lb pack; better (for me) than 170 with a 2 lb pack.

I value and appreciate the many insightful and knowledgeable contributions
that so many on this list have made:  thank you!
Happy holidays to all, and to all, best wishes for making your trekking
plans in 2008 sweet realities in 2009!

Barney