[pct-l] Too much spare time - part 2

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 22:38:40 CST 2008

Jim / PITA wrote:

"Some observations (I had too much spare time working graveyard shift last night!):
  The
PCT Atlas SoCal volume (Mexican border to Tehachapi Pass) is approx.
1/4" x 4 3/4" x 8", which is 9.5 cubic inches and ~4.1 ounces.
  The
WP SoCal Guidebook for the same stretch of trail is approx. 3/8" x 6" x
9", which is 20.25 cubic inches and ~9.2 ounces.  (The entire SoCal
volume is ~7/8" thick and 21.4 ounces.)
  BTW, WP over the years has taken the guidebooks from 'pocket size' to a larger 'library size'...
  The 1973 Volume 1, California (yes, ALL of CA), is approx. 9/16" x 4 3/4" x 7 1/2", which is 20 cubic inches and 9.5 ounces."

Could you please be a little more through, Jim. We need the dimensions and weights of the Data Book and Yogi's Handbook as well, to make a good comparison, and don't forget to factor in the time spent cutting up the WP Guidebooks, Data Book, separating Yogi's book and making sure you get the right pages in the right resupply box. Plus the added cost of mailing those larger and heavier books, in larger, and therefore heavier, boxes.

If you could also calculate the added time necessary to read all three of the first books in comparison to the PCT Atlas, so we would know how much sooner we need to stop at night to get them all read and still get to bed by hiker midnight. Of course that means less miles per day, which means more days to complete the hike, therefore more food to buy and more weight to carry, so you're hiking slower and taking longer.....am I missing anything here?   ;)

Sugar Daddy