[pct-l] French tips

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 12:29:18 CST 2008

Morning Georgi..........you stated that very well. We have been in the same
situation...being retired and on a permanent limited income....but still
feel that the hikers and their support team need a place to be comfortable
and resupply. We do try and have everything that the hikers may need when
they hit town but sometimes not always possible. Being in the cold and wet
North Cascades we also feel the need to house the yearly crew inside out of
the elements. The last two years we built a new 28' x 34' hiker dorm.
Unfortunately the river got the best of us and we have had to sell our home
and new hiker dorm to the King County folks . Our river bank is washing away
and will take the house with in the next year or so. But as we searched for
a new home our first requirement was to stay close enough to continue caring
for the hikers and to find a place big enough to house them all. We deal
with the same problems other trail angels do with the extra expenses for
food, water, electricity and covering all the other needs for those who
choose to stay with us. We know that if we spend too much out of our savings
to support the crew that stays with us we will not be able to continue. We
would like to wave off any donations but can not afford to. We don't have
jobs anymore as we did for 50 years. We hope that each guest will help us
continue being able to afford opening our home for future hikers.

I occasionally read that some folks refuse payment from those they provide
service for. I wish we could afford to do everything for free for the 250
hikers that come and stay (most stay 2-3 days). But we can't.

We will be all moved into our new home 8 miles west of Skykomish in the town
of Baring. It will have 2.5 acres of park like grounds for the hikers to
spread out on plus a new hiker dorm with showers, bathroom, kitchenette,
Internet, laundry (do it yourself) and bunk area. You will need to hitch to
and from the trail head. (please don't pressure him for a ride) Jerry will
be making one run a day to Skykomish to the PO.

Take care,

PCT MOM