[pct-l] "Shoes"

Patrick meta474 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:26:52 CST 2008

I have, I'm a size 13 4E. I was under the impression, before I
started, that new balance was the only company with readily-available
sizes in extra and extra-extra wide. I wore new balance exclusively
(708s and 811s) until I got to Bend, OR from Santiam Pass. They had an
amazing running shoe store there in the downtown shopping area, near
the REI (about a half mile walk from the REI). The guys there told me
there're actually three popular companies that make 4Es. I forget the
third one (Brooks?) but the two he suggested were right for my feet
were new balance or Asics. I ended up going with the Asics and I
actually prefer them to new balance now, they have a much better sole
and an even wider forefoot than new balance.

The Asics I have are the "Gel Fortitude 3" -- they have a very soft,
breathable top and a fairly thick but very flexible outer sole. Some
people need more rigidity, for that I recommend sticking a set of
superfeet into these shoes. I wore these from Bend all the way to the
border and then back south to Hart's Pass with no issues, and they're
still in acceptable condition (although I don't think I could get any
more serious hiking miles out of them).

I highly recommend giving the 4E a spin, if you're a 2E (which is just
regular wide). I found that my feet didn't grow like most people
suggested -- I'm a 13 normally and stayed a 13 for the whole trail.
However I did find that while I can get away with wearing a 2E in
regular life with no issues, on the trail I absolutely NEEDED the 4E.
I never got any blisters on the whole trail, but I briefly tried to
wear a set of vasque trail shoes (not boots) because I couldn't find
new balance for while and my small toe on each foot was WRECKED after
I did a 40.

Anyway, give the asics a spin, although I have high confidence in new
balance as well. I've heard negative thing about Brooks, which I think
is the third manufacturer, but it could be worth a try.