[pct-l] maps

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 2 13:38:09 CST 2008

"section b"?
But which one - SoCal or Oregon?

Either one - check Hiker Trash Haven, <http://www.hikertrash.com/>, click on "free topo maps" then either
"Southern California" or "Oregon" (depending which section B you wanted)...

I've seen Hiker Trash maps recommended repeatedly on the list (but I can't vouch for their accuracy because
ALL of the PCT is NOT covered!!  Only ~40% (roughly) covered: CA = sections A, B, C, part of D, and R; OR = all;
WA = part of H...  That leaves balance of D, all of E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, P, and Q in CA and balance of H, all of
I, J, K, and L in WA...  I visit the far NorCal mountains (section P & Q) almost every year - and Hiker Trash doesn't
cover those sections, thus I've never "checked them out on the ground"...

Also check <http://www.pctatlas.com/>, in case you didn't see posts in December...
According to a recent email from Erik:
(BTW, the 1st volume is SoCal)  "...expect the 1st volume to be available before April 08 with each subsequent book coming out 2-3 months later..."
"...fully plan to have the entire set completed before Spring of '09."
The PCT Atlas series looks like it will be a great compromise to me - much less paper to carry...
(For some of you 'older' ones out there - remember when the guidebooks had ALL the maps in the back?
Read the 'description', then rip out only the maps for use on the 'trail'...)

Hope that helps!

Happy trails!!!
Jim