[pct-l] Esbit fuel & alohol

fdumville at earthlink.net fdumville at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 2 18:03:46 CST 2008

Esbit tabs are made of hexamethylenetetramine which is classified as a hazardous material by the USPS. They can only be shipped via domestic parcel post surface mail. The package must be marked with  "Consumer Commodity ORM-D, UN1328" and "Surface Mail Only". The USPS publication 52 defines the requirements. It can be found at http://www.usps.com/publications/pubs/welcome.htm. There are also quantity limits, I believe it is 1 pound for Esbit.
I have found having the the appropriate pages from pub 52 to show the postal clerk helps if they are at all hesitant to accept your package.
Surface mail can take a long time. Mail early and mail your resupply box separately.
Post Offices won't accept UPS delivery for you.
>From what I've heard UPS, Fedex and other commercial delivery services won't handle hazardous material from individuals. They would have the same restrictions imposed on them by DOT rules.

Snap