[pct-l] Too Many People

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 08:26:30 CST 2008

Wheeeeew writes: Actually, I was thinking the same thing about people.  If you spread them out in their natural habitat, instead of stacking them all on top of each other in the non-sustainable, over-populated, heavily polluted cities, I doubt there'd be enough "natural habitat" to sustain us.  So who wants to volunteer to go first???  Sorry folks, there's just too many of us.  Open season.......!!!!!
Switchback replies: I hope you are not thinking of starting with Trail Pirates.  I know a lot of hikers who would do that, but I figure you are my pal and would not.  Say, I heard one time that there are more deer, bears, and trees in the continental US than there were when the colonist came over here from the old world.

I think I could buy the first two, but I don't know about trees.  I think this might be true in the Sierras, since we control fires and trees have taken over so many of the old open areas/meadows.  When they compare current pictures of different areas to the pictures of 100 years ago, trees are like weeds.  I noticed this too in AZ going up for the 12,633 foot Mt. Humphrey expedition.  Driving up to the parking lot, I noticed how the trees looked like weeds growing near the road.  Sad how we screw things up for our human standards instead of Mother Nature's.