[pct-l] Too Many People

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 11:16:44 CST 2008

people are to earth as cancer is to the body just a different scale

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 06:26:30 -0800From: hiker97 at aol.comTo: gailpl2003 at yahoo.com; craigstanton at mac.com; pct-l at backcountry.netCC: lizmares at cox.net; carolwbruno at yahoo.comSubject: Re: [pct-l] Too Many People

Wheeeeew writes: Actually, I was thinking the same thing about people.  If you spread them out in their natural habitat, instead of stacking them all on top of each other in the non-sustainable, over-populated, heavily polluted cities, I doubt there'd be enough "natural habitat" to sustain us.  So who wants to volunteer to go first???  Sorry folks, there's just too many of us.  Open season.......!!!!!
Switchback replies: I hope you are not thinking of starting with Trail Pirates.  I know a lot of hikers who would do that, but I figure you are my pal and would not.  Say, I heard one time that there are more deer, bears, and trees in the continental US than there were when the colonist came over here from the old world.

I think I could buy the first two, but I don't know about trees.  I think this might be true in the Sierras, since we control fires and trees have taken over so many of the old open areas/meadows.  When they compare current pictures of different areas to the pictures of 100 years ago, trees are like weeds.  I noticed this too in AZ going up for the 12,633 foot Mt. Humphrey expedition.  Driving up to the parking lot, I noticed how the trees looked like weeds growing near the road.  Sad how we screw things up for our human standards instead of Mother Nature's.

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.