[pct-l] ounces

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 3 12:52:55 CST 2008

A tidbit of bear can history.  It was back in ’04 or ’05 at Rae Lakes that
one very smart bear learned how to open the old style Bear Vaults, and was
doing so at will.  I understand he/she did this by applying pressure on the
sides with its paw, popping the lids off.  This led to those cans not be
allowed in that area, as well as a design change and exchange program by BV.

When I hiked KM to YV in ’06, just south of Glen Pass I had the privilege of
meeting the backcountry ranger who had been stationed at Rae Lakes during
the infamous bear’s summer raids.  He told me that the bear would peruse
each campsite, and bypass those with bear canisters – except the one BV
model he knew how to open.  Amazingly, the bear was able to differentiate
the model that yielded the best results.

When I was at Rae Lakes in early July ‘06, a big snow year, and I was the
only human around as far as I could see.  The bears weren’t yet active in
the higher elevations, and were busy with the campers at the trail head
areas.  It’ hard for me to imagine so many people at Rae Lakes that you
couldn’t put your fragrant items into one of the bear boxes.  Perhaps later
in the season when the JMTers are out in force, it’s a different scene.

L-Rod

   _____