[pct-l] ounces

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 12:55:07 CST 2008

_gottawalk_ (mailto:gottawalk at pacbell.net)  writes: We are proud owners of
crocs. Ken's weigh 12.8 oz, mine weigh  10.3 oz. We always leave them at home
saving a total of 23.1 oz...a  whopping 1 pound 7.1 ounces! So our 2 pound 11.75
ounce Garcia canister is only  a net of 1 pound 4.65 ounces when the croc
savings is figured in. We saw a bear approach our canister then make a U-turn to
another camp. It seemed that he recognized the canister, without touching it,
 and moved on. Rangers in Yosemite have asked us if we were carrying a
canister.  It's just visual. If we really wanted I think we  could reduce the
canister weight by several ounces by sanding out the interior.  The canister would
still look right to the ranger and bears so it would retain  its effectiveness.
TIC
Switchback replies: I can vouch for her.  They really do these  things and
think this way.  She is the only person that ever had me ONLY  paint the VERY
TOPS of her shelter stakes florescent orange to save weight by  not painting the
whole stake.  She probably saved a whopping 3 grams for  all her stakes (27
grams in an ounce).  Geeeesh.  This is as bad as  AsABat.

48)