[pct-l] Too Many People

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 03:59:53 CST 2008

thank you for that. i'm not good with words true not all people are cancerous.
zoom out, we are microscopic, destroying everything in our way> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> From: kks202 at excite.com> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:09:54 -0500> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Too Many People> > > > This is analogy to which I have given some thought before...> > Cancer is unchecked growth. Cells acquire a suite of mutations that allow them to proliferate in the absence of the usual "brakes" on replication imposed by cell cycle control systems. Some of these cancers will go on to acquire new mutations that stimulate the construction of capillaries into the growing tumor (angiogenesis), as the cells in the center of the tumor are too far away from existing blood vessels for nutrients to pass by simple diffusion. This is very similar to road building by humans- one of the advances that allowed early cities to grow so large was the distribution networks that brought food and especially water (ie the roman aquaducts) into the center of the growing city, which could no longer support itself with the water and food resources in the local area. (eg. LA aquaduct)> > Certainly several human physical traits have led to this unchecked growth, opposable thumbs facilitating tool use, large brains etc., but the more important traits are cultural: writing, the scientific method, mathematics. Richard Dawkins coined the term "meme" to refer to replicating cultural elements- ideas, techniques etc, that can be transmitted. The number zero is a great one: the mesoamericans calculated the solar year with incredible accuracy without this idea. Cancer is promoted by some genes (oncogenes, eg. p53) and inhibited by others (tumor suppressors, eg. BRCA1). Mutations that create oncogenes or eliminate tumor suppressors lead to cancer. The real question is, with regard to the human civilization, what are the oncomemes and what are the tumor suppressor memes? For oncomemes, I propose leizzes-faire capitalism (regulated capitalism has a place), globalization, "externalities", colonialism. Tumor suppressor memes: earth centered religions, or any religion> > that asserts a limited/balanced presence for humankind (the development of a "creation care" movement with american christianity is interesting), environmental education, green building techniques, the whole idea of recycling, etc.> > People are not bad, and all people are not cancerous. People without an awareness of, and respect for, the global organism of which they are but a single cell are analogous to a cancer cell. > > Kris > > _______________________________________________> Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com> The most personalized portal on the Web!> > > _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> To unsubscribe or change list options (digest, etc):> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l