[pct-l] Too Many People

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Feb 4 16:33:19 CST 2008

A couple of thoughts on this excellent post.

I would add that while it might be better tasting, the real problem is that
human food has much higher concentrations of fat than natural forage does,
and the bears prefer it.  The bears go absolutely nuts for our food and
garbage, and once indoctrinated bears will go great distances to find the
biggest bang for their food buck. I mean, who wants grubs when you can have
Doritos?  A Fish and Game warden told me that it's pretty much impossible to
retrain an adult bear to eat natural forage when it can (and will) find its
way to our food or garbage.  This is problematic because bears eating human
food with higher fat content will produce more offspring, which exacerbates
the overpopulation problem, whereas a hungry female bear will absorb a fetus
into her own system resulting in no birth.

Unfortunately, our "civilized" sensitivities created this messy bear
management issue.  As has been discussed on the post before, the NP rangers
of old allowed people to freely feed the bears, and it has only been in very
recent times that an effort has been made to curb the human behaviors that
have put the balance out of whack.  It may take generations of bears for the
negative patterns to disappear.  I hope I live long enough to witness the
change.

L-Rod