[pct-l] Ice Ax

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Feb 4 20:03:12 CST 2008

Good evening, Lon,

For the slip-resistant surface on my axe I applied a product called "3M
Safety-Walk", which is heavy duty, sticky-backed, sandpaper used for walkway
surfaces.  A local hardware store had various sizes and shapes, so I got a
package of 2"x 9" pieces which I trimmed to 6" for installation.  Each 6"
strip weighs 0.25 oz.  A strip was applied longitudinally to both the front
and the back of the shaft.  Each strip wrapped around the sides of the shaft
leaving only a 1/8" gap down each side uncovered.  After applying the strips
I temporarily wrapped the entire area tightly with nylon cord to encourage
the adhesive to adapt to, and retain, its new curved shape.

I really like it, but if I had to chop barehanded for an extended period its
roughness might irritate my skin.  With even the thinnest gloves it can be
appreciated but not felt. It's an outdoor product, and after some use and
soaking it hasn't warn or loosened.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^