[pct-l] Trekking pole snow baskets for Sierra?

Eric Payne vaporjourney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 06:56:23 CST 2008

When I hike, I typically don't hike with the baskets attached to my trekking
poles.  They just aren't necessary unless you are in deep mud.  However, I'm
wondering if I should attach some of the really wide baskets to my poles for
the High Sierra to stop them from sinking in the snow.  I know that Andrew
Skurka didn't do this when he went thru there last year, but is he just
crazy?  I really can't imagine how deep the snow really gets on the sides of
the trail.  Keep in mind that I'm a Southerner who hasn't ever seen more
than 3 inches on trails.