[pct-l] Bear Canister "required" areas on PCT in the Sierra...

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 13:39:31 CST 2008

Say, could that be taught to psycho ranger???

Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote:
On Feb 4, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Postholer wrote:
> Northern Califonia has solved it's bear problem. Bears are wary of
> humans,
> as it should be in the natural order. The local population is
> pressing for
> hunting permits during 'Tourist Season'. In the mean time, even the
> bears
> know to run from a lumbering RV with a geriatric driver behind the
> wheel.
> (tic)

When I did a section hike on the AT in 2004 there were reports of a
problem bear at one particular shelter.  The bear had learned to wait
until hiker dinner time and then come out of the woods scaring all
the hikers into the shelter with their food out and about.  Feast for
the bear.

The night I stayed at that shelter an animal control officer was
there with a tranquilizer gun.  He explained that if the bear showed
up and he was successful in knocking it out he would ask any of the
hikers who were interested to get up close and personal with the
bear.  The 'goal' was to make sure that when the bear woke up it
would associate human smells with the 'traumatic' experience of being
knocked out--a bear form of aversion therapy.  Instead of relocating
the bear they were trying to train the bear to avoid human smells.

The other interesting thing he told us was how to treat him if he
accidently shot himself with the tranquilizer gun.  Apparently it has
happened.  :-)

Radar

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/