[pct-l] Extreemly Smart Bears

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Feb 5 22:41:41 CST 2008

Reinhold Metzger wrote:
That's right, like Brick said, Sierra bears are extremely smart.....they
have learned from observing us.
It seems to me that I read somewhere that some are even Harvard graduates.
I have been dealing with Sierra bears for 35 years and have seen them
figure out how to outsmart steel
bear cables, counter balancing and now certain bear canisters by putting
their weigh on them to make
the lid pop off.
Counter balancing used to be very effective if done right .....the
problem was not many hikers were doing it right.
Effective,  until the  bears  got educated.
In all these years I have lost food only once when an extremely smart
bear applied the law of  leverage by standing
and stumping on the branch, further and further out, until the law of
leverage accomplished what the bear already
knew he could accomplish by applying the law of leverage....I think that
one had a degree in structural  engineering
from Harvard.

JMT Reinhold