[pct-l] fuller ridge question

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:26:59 CST 2008

 it was i who posted this question. i've received some excellent info that i'll be using this spring.
thanks again for all the help.

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:09:11 -0800From: msaenz at mve-architects.comTo: shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com; pct-l at mailman.backcountry.netSubject: Re: [pct-l] fuller ridge question

Maybe I missed the first post on this thread…

Someone is hiking this now? Solo?

Why?

Is someone starting a through hike early? Lots of zeros at high altitudes about now… (TIC)

If someone is considering section hiking, perhaps doing the deserts are a better idea right now? Much cooler. More water.

The first real alpine on the PCT is a fantastic treat after all that low desert. Don’t ruin it by trying to do it at it’s most difficult conditions!

Whitewater is probably raging right now…and COLD!!!

Michael Saenz Associate Partner
MVE Studio, Inc. | Architecture Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu 1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T 949.809.2700 | www.mve-studio.com

From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Shutterbug steinerSent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:03 AMTo: pctSubject: Re: [pct-l] fuller ridge question

The only other recommendation I have is from Apache Peak to Black Rock Campground - DO NOT DO IT SOLO.  This will be your first experience on the PCT going North where you will experience a double whammy - exposed ice and snow and navigaiton issues.  Many have got lost and a few have died in this area.  This year we have a boatload of snow so the later the start and the bigger the crowd the better.  And like AsABat mentioned following footprints might NOT get you to where you want to go - saddle junction is a very popular place for snow travel.

SB

  AsABat <AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net> wrote:

If you are comfortable with conditions and navigation, still be aware ofwhen you are getting over your head and know when to turn around and bailout.Generally south slopes would have less snow, but looking at the map youcan see that west of Castle Rocks the slow is very steep with gulliescutting down it. Those gullies will hold snow. The north side is moreforested, but whether a tree will stop you gently or like a trainwreck...I've done ridge walks many times - west from Baden Powell, in Section Obetween Red Mountain and Grizzly Peak - and it saves a lot of snownavigation problems. But as Mike said, Fuller Ridge is covered withboulders, and as much as I like rocks that doesn't look like fun with apack.AsABatOn Wed, February 6, 2008 8:29 am, Mike Saenz wrote:> When I did Fuller Ridge, I was post holing in up to 3'-0" of snow....> And that was in MAY.>> RE: walking the crest- The crest between Castle Rocks and Fuller Remote> is topped with large boulders (hence the name "Castle Rocks").>> Stay on the east side. I'm sure I was off trail for a bit, but the east> side had an easy contour to post hole through.>> It was between Castle Rocks and Fuller Remote camp that I found> "Pinhead's" ice axe, which I carried down to the water fountain where I> caught up to him.>>> is there a dry side to the ridge, where the snow conditions would be> more favorable? is it possible just to follow the ridge crest where the> steep / icy sections are? how thick is the forest up there? the thought> has crossed my mind to just follow the ridge crest / parallel the trail> if where the trail goes is out of the question. thanks again_______________________________________________Pct-l mailing listPct-l at backcountry.netTo unsubscribe or change list options (digest, etc):http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l