[pct-l] Time Required for a PCT Thru Hike

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 17:44:03 CST 2008

Lauren

  In my section hiking days up here in Washington ('01-'05), I ran into quite a few thru hikers in mid to late August.  They certainly were down near 100 days or so, depending on their start date.  So from seeing others approach that time frame, I know it's possible.

  BUT......

  As has been pointed out - 2650 miles.  Assume no zero's - hey, some folks can do the 26.5 miles a day that implies.  But, you'll still have to reload with supplies and that means town stops.  I ran through the list of common resupply locations - depending on how you go about it, you'll need to resupply between 20 and 35 times (I used something like 32 or 33 resupply stops in '06).

  Many of these locations are literally right next to the trail (or so close that it really doesn't matter), such as Agua Dulce, KM, Seiad Valley and Snoqualmie Pass, to name a few.  One could be in and out in under and hour if you were super efficient and your timing was right on.  Other locations may take a noticeable amount of time to get to, be it hitching or bonus mile walking - Idyllwild, Big Bear City, Mojave, Bridgeport, Etna, Ashland, Sisters, Skykomish are some.  Even if you're in and out of town without staying the night, chances are you're going to burn the equivalent of 5 to 7 days of hiking time doing town chores.  These town stop nero days, the ones that cost you 1/2 a day each, can really slow your progress.

  So, take that 100 calendar days, cut it to about 95 or 93 equivalent hiking days and you're having to do ~28 miles every full day of hiking.  Possible - sure.  Been done?  Absolutely.  Fun and having it not feeling like you're killing yourself?  Hmmmm........... Up to you do decide.

  If you have only a 100 days, might I suggest a very long section hike, say Campo to Ashland which is quite reasonable.