[pct-l] PCT Atlas - Thru wallet alert

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Feb 6 18:39:59 CST 2008

"Brian you have all the symtoms of pre-hike jitters, self treated by
overkill.....and it makes me jealous! :)"

No jitters (I don't even do coffee).   I just like maps.   And the old
adage, "Prior proper planning prevents ..." <g>

To be clear, I don't expect that I'll have a lot of trouble navigating the
trail.  Everyone has their luxuries on the trail; consider mine to be having
a bit of overkill on maps/data.

My mapsets per resupply box are averaging 2.6 oz each.  I'm not too
concerned about the yet added weight if the PCT Atlas provides sufficient
value.  Ditto the money.  Amortize over 2660 miles and I expect it will be
pretty darned cheap (and I certainly found Yogi's book very very much worth
the money!).

Another way of looking at this might be to recognize that the PCT Guidebooks
are down to just Ben Schifrin doing all the work, and if I recall correctly
he has a day job, does the updates in his spare time (?).    Admittedly, if
the market is small enough, competition *can* ultimately be a net bad thing;
hopefully that's not the case here (dunno).

I'm sure I'll buy the first PCT Atlas volume and look it over in April.
Better for me would be the last volume; I was pleased that Erik liked my
suggestion so that hopefully WA state will show up well before I get there.
It's my personal stomping grounds, the part of the PCT that I know something
about, and thus would be the easiest to calibrate now for the "is this worth
carrying" test.

I certainly agree that the PCT *for the most part* is dead easy to navigate.
It's those infrequent places that it's not a no-brainer that I'd rather make
easier.   But each to their own!

	Brian