[pct-l] Etna Summit area snow surveys

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed Feb 6 19:35:46 CST 2008

Working for the Klamath usfs gives me a bit of privileged access to
information. The snow surveys were conducted this week into the Scott River
watershed along cirques near the PCT. I talked with one of the survey
takers, an incredible athlete, and he was in a rare exhaustive state the
morning after snowshoeing in and taking the data from the Middle Boulder
Lake snow course transect. I've never heard Phil say his legs are
smoked...Simply stated, as of Feb 1 we are running at nearly 200% snow depth
and 150% of water content for Feb 1 (50 yr data).  The snow may increase by
April 1, the true gauge of local summer snow conditions. At Middle Boulder
lake there's 84",  over near Etna Summit in the Swampy John transect 126",
and Scott Mountain had 77". These levels are approaching record snow levels
for this area at this time.  Also, Grey Rocks Lakes above Castle Crags is
showing 122". The data is still being taken and coming online, and if you
know where to look, this link will give you the info on current measured
snow depths near the PCT for California. Snotel info is not always as
accurate as the field measurements taken by the snow surveyors.   This info
isn't surprising living here, this is going to be a big snow year in
Northern California, Oregon, and Washington along the PCT.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/COURSES