[pct-l] Etna Summit area snow surveys

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Wed Feb 6 22:29:29 CST 2008

> So...is there a reason for not explicitly calling the ULA product an
> ice ax, or is this just a humorous snow job?

Yes. When it first came out there was a lot of criticism that it was not
certified, and should not be trusted on steep ice. Brian then started
calling it a potty trowel. Look at the FAQs on the website and you'll
see that someone pointed out it does look like an ice axe.

Whether it should be trusted is not my decision to make. I talked to one
person who did some fairly serious practice self arrests on it and it
worked fine. I look at this product as something to take instead of no
ice axe at all, not instead of one of my other axes. For example, the
potty trowel is NOT going to Mt. Baldy on Friday.

AsABat