[pct-l] PO's and resupply boxes

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:11:27 CST 2008

>How long do PO's hold a hiker's resupply box?

I like that two week figure for another reason.  A lot of these post offices are VERY small.
The kind thing to do is not store you packages there too long.  Warner Springs has hiker's resupplies and bounce boxes floor to ceiling everywhere, including the bathroom.  It makes their lives difficult.

What kind of lead time do you normally give for sending a resupply box?

10 days

>Are there any PO's that seem to "lose" boxes more frequently than others?

 I have helped "find" boxes, but I have never lost one.
I mark my boxes so bright and unique they are remembered and easily spotted.
This is another kind thing to do for PO's and businesses line the Kennedy Meadows Store (where I helped find 2 or 3 of mine and a friend's brightly marked boxes last year).
One year I marked my boxes with stickers.  Last year bright pink spray paint.
When the PO asked for my ID to pick up the package, I had that same sticker or a sample of that pink paint on the back of my drivers licence to show them. (careful not to cover the magnetic strip).  Quite a few times I've heard "I remember seeing that box"

Crater Lake Mazama Village had to look 3 times for my box in 2004.  Not uniquely marked, though.

A little off the subject, but not really.

Snoqualmine Pass
Address it to yourself c/o the Cheveron Station and you can pick it up 24/7.
The PO, which is in that station, has limited hours.
In the past packages sent general delivery have ended up stored at the main North Bend PO 18 miles down the hill from there.
If you write on the package "Hold for PCT Hiker" you have a better chance of it being there.  Still C/O the Chevron is what I'm doing this year.

Warner Springs Monty