[pct-l] How Many Trail Shoes / When to buy them

Scott Heeschen sheeschen at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 02:34:19 CST 2008

I also found the trail runners to fit very well right out of the box.  Maybe
the first new pair on the trail gave a little trouble, but all the pairs
after that worked straight out of the box with no problems.  Of course by
then my feet had toughened considerably and I knew exactly how to lace them
to fit my feet right.  I went through five pairs, and REI was able to ship
to my resupply places with no trouble.

I think my feet had finished doing all their growing/swelling after the
first hundred miles, so I didn't need to worry about ordering the next size
up.  Of course, your feet could be different.

For me, I started walking just about everywhere a few months before I
started my hike (work, restaurants, the shoe stores :-) and my foot size had
already grown from a 9.5 to 10.5.  Then I sat in the shoe store and kept
trying larger and larger shoes until I found the largest size where the heel
didn't slip.  Montrails must have a tight heel cup, because I think I was
able to wear an 11.5 with no heel trouble.  I started hiking wearing a liner
and a wool sock, but that let me switch things around if my feet were
getting cramped - in the desert for a day or two, I just wore the liner.
Most of the rest of the hike I just wore the wool socks.  Some people I
hiked with didn't experience much foot expansion at all, but they were
typically runners/marathoners, so their feet had probably already gone
through the normal thru-hike "growth spurt".

I also played around a lot with the lacing during the first few weeks based
on what some of the shoe salespeople told me and what I read in the book,
Fixing Your Feet.  It was nice to have a few options of what to do when my
shoes didn't fit right.  I even met one guy who, although he used Superfeet,
kept the original insoles around.  They're pretty lightweight, and provided
something different in case a pressure point started to develop.

Anyways, I should probably shut up.  Just wanted to post my experience with
regards to shoes.  Oh yeah, I still got a few blisters, maybe 2 or 3, but
nothing bad at all.

     Buck Larceny, '05