[pct-l] Oregon PCT Names

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 11:31:43 CST 2008

Responding to Dr. Bob:

I should probably include in each of these posts a reference to Oregon
Geographical Names by Lewis A. "Tam" McArthur and Lewis L. McArthur from
which most of this material is gleaned.  My own tiny contribution is a
little bit of original research, a little cross-referencing of entries in
the book that might not occur to someone who has spent less than 50 years in
Oregon and a bit of spin to make the story a little more interesting without
destroying its accuracy.

What the McArthur's say exactly about the Opie Dilldock strip is that Opie
"always found his way out of impossible situations."  My own research
(googling Opie Dilldock) gave me enough of a take on the nature of the strip
to expand a little on what the strip is about.

Older maps show the spelling as "Oppie Dilldock" with two P's.  Once it was
determined that the comic strip was the likely source of the name and that
the comic strip character was Opie not Oppie, the Oregon Geographical Names
Board voted unanimously in December, 1974 to correct the spelling to Opie.
So sayeth Tam McArthur.