[pct-l] P.O. Resupply

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 22:13:40 CST 2008

Odd, since when I went through there in 2004, the book was right on the counter to the right of where you came in the door. Lots of signatures. You had to come in, and turn left to get to the PO counter. Now assuming a hiker KNEW where the register was located............

One possible reason - the PCT does not go past the Castella PO. You have to detour a fair distance along the road to reach it and the store. Some hikers may elect to resupply at Burney Falls State Park and just push on the 183 miles through to Etna before they resupply. Those folks would not want/need to divert to Castella. For folks used to 25 mile days, that's only 7 days and a hitch-hike.

Another possible reason - the store at Castle Craigs State Park has quite an extensive inventory. One could easily resupply there and never need to go to the PO (just 30 yards away in a sepate building).

Some of the trail registers have been lost or stolen in years past. Most places have no security for them. They're just left out on a table or counter.

Wandering Bob